Want to boost your brain power? Here are eight new ways to keep your brain sharp at any age:
1. Skip the Diet Soda! Soda in general is bad for our brains, but particularly diet soda due to the synthetic ingredients like aspartame.
2. Play Brain Games. Puzzles, chess, number and memory games are practice for your brain! Do a few brain exercises regularly by playing these games in your spare time.
3. Never Stop Learning. There is an unlimited amount of information out there in the world and there is no way we can know it all. Teach yourself an instrument, take up a new hobby or research something you are interested in but don’t know a lot about. Having an urge to never stop learning will keep your brain extra sharp!
4. Read Often. Whether it’s a magazine, book, manual, newspaper or other reading material, go for it! Reading not only increases your knowledge of different subjects and ideas but also gives your brain a workout.
5. Use all of Your Senses. The more senses you use in learning about something, the more your brain will be involved in retaining the memory.
6. Consume Omega 3 Fats. Walnuts, salmon and avocados are not only delicious; they also boost brain power!
7. Make Connections With What You Are Learning. Try to connect the names of people you meet to others you know; this will help you remember their names for future meetings. When learning about a process of something, draw a diagram of it out on a piece of paper so you can visualize the process in your head later on.
8. Space Learning Out. Practice a new process or study things for a test over a length of time. It is easier to forget things we have learned quickly than those we have learned at a slower pace.
To your amazing brain!
Health Coach Autumn (Sign up for a free personal consultation at http://www.pacificnorthwesthealth.com)